The DuPont Historical Museum: A Dynamite Destination


The Puget Sound area is integral to the historical past of Washington, which turned a territory in 1853 and a state in ’89. Among the many regional highlights is the DuPont Historic Museum, within the namesake firm city as soon as recognized for explosives manufacturing. What actually blows museumgoers minds is the astonishing listing of firsts celebrated in its displays and shows. Amongst different milestones, the realm was house to each the primary European buying and selling put up on Puget Sound (Fort Nisqually, courting from 1833) and the primary American settlement in what would turn out to be Washington (Nisqually Mission, lively from 1840–42); was the house port of the primary steamboat to ply the Pacific Northwest coast (Beaver, launched in 1835); recorded the area’s first overland highway (1834); hosted the primary recognized Independence Day celebration (1841) north of the Columbia River; and was the primary named location in Oregon Territory (organized in 1848). In 1906 the DuPont chemical firm purchased land on the Fort Nisqually website to construct the primary industrial plant within the Pacific Northwest. Accomplished in 1909, the DuPont Powder Works opened the best way for roadbuilding, canals, rail strains, mining and different functions worldwide, and it stored manufacturing explosives till 1975.

GET HISTORY’S GREATEST TALES—RIGHT IN YOUR INBOX

Subscribe to our Historynet Now! e-newsletter for the most effective of the previous, delivered each Wednesday.

The museum constructing, which dates from 1917, was initially a butcher store and later served as DuPont’s first Metropolis Corridor. In 1977 metropolis officers earmarked the constructing to be used as a museum to showcase firm artifacts and pictures. At this time, with continued assist from the town, the DuPont Historic Society and volunteers, the museum has expanded to spotlight regional human historical past.

Artifacts spotlight the corporate city, which supplied housing and items to staff of the 1909 DuPont Powder Works.
(DuPont Historic Museum)

The primary room relates the historical past of the Nisqually, a Coast Salish individuals who have lived within the Nisqually River delta for some 5 millennia. In 1855 territorial officers confined them to a reservation farther inland alongside the river. Associated artifacts on show embody baskets and instruments made and utilized by the Nisqually and different Salish bands.

In 1833 British-owned Hudson’s Bay Co. (HBC) established Fort Nisqually, a buying and selling put up alongside the sound, to facilitate the change of European items for beaver and different furs. A decade later HBC constructed a bigger fort a mile inland alongside Sequalitchew Creek. By then Beaver, a stout side-wheel steamboat captained by firm man William Henry McNeill, had arrived within the sound to serve the fort. In 1840 HBC began the subsidiary Puget Sound Agricultural Co., whose workforce centered on the fort and supplied wool, beef, cheese and different merchandise to regional and worldwide markets. Among the many artifacts within the museum assortment are handmade instruments, interval firearms, and commerce blankets and beads.

Individuals quickly made their presence recognized. Within the spring of 1841 a wide-ranging expedition led by U.S. Navy Lieutenant Charles Wilkes surveyed Puget Sound, pausing lengthy sufficient to mark the Fourth of July. In 1846 signatories ratified the Oregon Treaty, formally recognizing all land south of the forty ninth parallel a part of the US. HBC continued to function its fort till the Individuals purchased it out in 1869. Edward Huggins, who was managing Fort Nisqually when it shuttered the next yr, promptly turned an American citizen and filed a declare on 1,000 acres, together with the grounds of the fort. Huggins farmed the tract till 1906, when he bought it to DuPont.

DuPont additionally constructed wharf close to the mouth of the creek from which to ship dynamite for such main industrial initiatives because the Panama Canal and the Grand Coulee Dam. Slender-gauge trains shuttled provides and merchandise to and from the manufacturing unit

Based in 1802 in Wilmington, Del., E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Co., the period’s largest provider of gunpowder to the U.S. navy, bought 3,600 acres of land from Huggins and neighboring farmers to ascertain a presence on the West Coast. To deal with staff the corporate initially threw up short-term tar paper properties on the positioning of the fort. The corporate city grew up of their midst and by 1917 boasted greater than 100 household properties, a lodge for single staff, a put up workplace, firm clubhouse, infirmary, schoolhouse, church, newspaper and shops, together with the aforementioned butcher store. DuPont additionally constructed wharf close to the mouth of the creek from which to ship dynamite for such main industrial initiatives because the Panama Canal and the Grand Coulee Dam. Slender-gauge trains shuttled provides and merchandise to and from the manufacturing unit.

Wild-West-June-2022-Collections-DuPont-Historical-Museum-Dynamite-Train
Beneath a protecting cover behind the museum rests the state’s final intact “dynamite prepare,” whose Plymouth engine as soon as pulled explosives-packed automobiles.
(DuPont Historic Museum)

The corporate city remained unique to staff till 1951 when DuPont bought the properties, enabling residents to include as an official city. The second room of the museum re-creates a typical kitchen from one of many worker properties, lots of that are nonetheless standing. Displays within the third room span the corporate city period and embody a show reminiscing in regards to the native excessive and former colleges in District No. 7, which dates again to 1860. One other show covers the 1976 buy of the corporate grounds by the Weyerhaeuser Co., which supposed to construct a deepwater port from which to export timber. When these plans fell by, it repurposed the land to create the Northwest Touchdown master-planned neighborhood. In 1987 the historic society efficiently lobbied to have the remaining buildings of the corporate city, generally known as DuPont Village, listed on the Nationwide Register of Historic Locations.

Current additions to the museum embody a reproduction of a 1906 tar paper shack, a mural of a 1910 firm house, and a picket porch and pillars reflective of a present-day house in Northwest Touchdown. Beneath a protecting cover behind the museum constructing rests the final intact “dynamite prepare” within the state of Washington. In-built 1941, the 12-ton narrow-gauge Plymouth engine pulled its explosives-packed automobiles—very gently—from the manufacturing unit to the wharf, supplying American forces all through the Pacific throughout World Struggle II.

The Dupont Historic Museum is at 207 Barksdale Ave. For extra data name 253-964-2399 or go to dupontmuseum.com. WW

this text first appeared in wild west journal

Fb @WildWestMagazine | Twitter @WildWestMag

Share: